Chip's Projects, Creativity

Further Sewing Updates

As promised, here are more recent pictures of my Historical Costume Inspiration Festival project.   As Miss Atlanta rightly guessed, I’m basing my outfit off of one of Maria’s Dirndls from The Sound of Music.

Why a dirndl?  I chose this particular dress out of all of those that inspired me because I might actually have an opportunity to wear it.  As I have gone to accordion competitions in the past and will probably go again, a dirndl is handy to have.

Anyway, here are a few recent pictures:  (I apologize for the quality, I didn’t realize how dark they were until just now)

I am so close to finished with this piece of the outfit.  The bias tape binding on the edge is made out of the same fabric that the skirt will be fashioned of.  It’s the first time I’ve tried making bias tape, and I like the result!
(Yes, that is my 50’s dress under the bodice — no, it doesn’t go with the dirndl. :P)
A side view to show the princess seams of the bodice. I’ve never had such an easy time sewing these as I did this time through.  It was lovely!
Neckline detail. . . five small tucks along the neckline.  Note this was a design decision. 😀  Actually, the pattern I used to cut the bodice had a neckline that was ridiculously wide — I didn’t realize that until after it was cut out.  So, I had to come up with a way to bring it in so that it wouldn’t fall off my shoulders.  I quite like the result, however unplanned in the beginning.
The bodice will lace up the back.  I’ve only got one more eyelet to hand stitch and then I’ll be moving on to the lacing and the placket that will go behind.  After that I’ll tackle the skirt and then (hopefully) the blouse. After that, I’d like to make an apron to go with it.
 Whether it will be done by the time the festival rolls around on Oct. 2 is anybody’s guess.  Time slips away so fast, especially when you have too much to do and not enough time to do it in.  I have really enjoyed the process of designing and bringing this to life.

Blessings to you,
post signature

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Further Sewing Updates”

  1. Hey Julie, Thanks for the comment! I tend to use a pattern for a base and then just edit it to make it the way I want it. For instance, I used part of a dress pattern for this, but altered it so that it was sleeveless and didn't have the skirt.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s